The 45th International Circus Festival took place in Monte Carlo, as well as the 10th New Generation Festival at the same time. These events are one of the most prestigious in the world circus arena. They gather the best circus artists from different countries.
This year, after a two-year break due to the pandemic, the festival seemed truly unique. Since the circus always demonstrates the limits of human capabilities and gives the joy of communication and unity, which is so lacking to all people on earth. In addition, for the first time the aggressor country russia was not represented in the jury and among the participants of the festival, due to the clear position of the organizers regarding the war in Ukraine.
“I am glad that such a unique event took place without an aggressor country. Because we have repeatedly emphasized that art is a weapon, and russia should not be represented in the world because of the suffering it brings to Ukrainians. We are proud of our artists who, despite everything, successfully represent our country in the world. We are also grateful for Ukraine’s support to the organizers and everyone involved in the grand celebration of circus art in Monaco,” said Oleksandr Tkachenko, Minister of Culture and Information Policy of Ukraine.
Representatives of Ukrainian circus art were hosted especially warmly in Monaco. They have received many awards, including:
- Oleksii Grigorov and Maryna Glavatskykh from Luhansk – “silver clown”, special prize of the International Sports Association;
- Victoriia Dziuba – “silver clown”, prize of the city of Monaco;
- Comic group “Equivokee” – special prize by Jeremo Medrano;
- Bingo Theater under the leadership of Iryna Herman – “bronze clown”, special prize from “Meilleur Costume”, prize from Columbus Hotel “Monte Carlo”, “Friends of the Swiss Circus” Award;
- Amelia Bilyk – “golden clown” of the children’s generation, audience sympathy prize;
- Sofia Grechko – “silver clown” of the children’s generation, special prize of Princess Antoinette, prize of the children’s jury, prize of the city of Monaco, special prize of the International Sports Association;
- Vladyslava Naraieva – “silver clown” of the children’s generation, a special prize from the association of composers.
It should be recalled that since the day of its foundation by Prince Rainier III in 1974, the International Circus Festival in Monte Carlo has been awarding foreign circus artists every year. Jugglers, aerial acrobats, magicians and other artists choose a Golden, Silver and Bronze Clown. After the Prince’s death in 2005, his daughter Princess Stephanie continued the tradition. Also in 2012, Princess Stephanie decided to found the New Generation Festival – a circus competition for young artists – with her daughter, Pauline Ducruet.